Happy Thursday everyone! It has been cold and rainy and I was feeling like some roasted veggies. This is a pretty simple recipe although it does take some hands on time with the chopping of the squash. I do really love squash but it takes SO MUCH WORK. Luckily it comes in my Imperfect Produce box sometimes so I am forced to use it!
In terms of substitutions, you can easily substitute cauliflower or romanesco for the broccoli. Arugula would also be good in place of the kale. And sweet potatoes are a good sub for the squash. If you try it, let me know what you think! It is definitely going to be a do-over in our house.
Roasted Broccoli + Squash with Kale + Tahini Dressing
(Side dish for 4, main meal for 2)
1 small butternut squash
1 lb broccoli
Salt/pepper to taste
1/2 bunch kale, torn
Crumbled feta (optional)
Toasted pumpkin seeds (optional) – I toast them in the toaster oven
3-4 tbs tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs water
chopped mint (optional)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees
- Peel and cut the squash into cubes. Cut the broccoli into florets that are about twice the size of the squash cubes. Cut the pepper and onion into a similar size as the squash. Lay out on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and salt/pepper, toss using your hands to coat the veggies well.
- Roast for 25 min or so, stirring once or twice. The broccoli should have crispy edges and the squash should look caramelized at the edges
- Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients and whisking well.
- Meanwhile, tear or cut the kale and put in the bottom of a large mixing bowl. Add the dressing on top.
- Top with the roasted vegetables while still hot out of the oven. Toss well to allow the kale to wilt a bit and the dressing to coat everything.
- Top with the pumpkin seeds and feta.