Happy Tuesday everyone,
So much going on here lately! Diya turned 12 and I can’t believe that my oldest is such a mature young lady (although using that phrase does make me feel old enough to have a mature young lady). We also had my nephew staying with us for a few days and watching him and Nisa together warmed my heart every moment (even the fighting – SO interesting to watch the negotiations).
In the midst of all this craziness, we made this kale salad with the stuff we had in the fridge and it turned out amazingly well. The nice thing is that you can improvise with whatever you have on hand (nut free? use pumpkin seeds, no pears? use whatever fruit you have on hand, I think that grapes would be amazing!)
Let me know if you make it and use different ingredients!
Kale Salad with Pears, Almonds, Dates and Feta
One to bunches of kale (we used about 1.5 and the dino kale variety)
one pear (we used D’Anjou)
3-4 Medjool dates
1/2 cup nuts/seeds toasted (we used a combination of sliced almonds and pumpkin seeds)
juice from one lemon
1. Clean the kale, dry well and rip the leaves off the ribs, toss the ribs. Cut into bite-size pieces.
2. Put a tablespoon of olive oil on the kale and sprinkle salt to taste. Massage the kale until it softens and becomes shiny (about 1 minute).
3. Add chopped pear, chopped dates, nuts/seeds.
4. Make the dressing: 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, salt/pepper, juice of one lemon. Whisk until the acid is incorporated with the oil . Drizzle over the salad.
5. Add the feta and toss until the dressing and the ingredients are distributed evenly.
6. Enjoy as a side salad or with protein as a main meal. Serves 8 as a side.