Happy December everyone! It’s hard to believe that we are approaching the end of the year. In the midst of all of the holiday craziness, I am trying to find ways to stay centered. We celebrated Esha’s 10th birthday and Nisa’s 3rd birthday. I went on a hike with a good friend last week, had a family dinner with a bunch of friends for Friendsgiving last weekend, and was blessed to reconnect with someone important in my life. As we gear up for new adventures next year, we are trying to find ways to be cozy for the end of the year. Enter these amazing donuts – please excuse the pictures, I was so skeptical that these would be good (they are so easy! I have never made donuts before!) that I didn’t take pictures until the girls took a bite and were wowed.
I thought that these were going to be a weekend project but really they only take a few minutes and they are well worth the effort! They may have been even more delicious because I fried them in ghee. We also made these with spelt flour – you really couldn’t tell the difference.
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- ghee (or canola oil for frying)
- 1/2 lb ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beat the sugar and eggs with an electric mixer until fluffy (about 1 minute)
- Stir in the ricotta and the vanilla until blended.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and then add to the sugar/egg mixture until just combined. Careful not to overmix.
- Heat the oil until shimmering.
- Use a spoon or an ice cream scoop to drop small balls of batter into the oil.
- Fry each side until golden brown (about 30 sec to 1 minute). Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels placed on a cookie sheet. Once they are slightly cooled, coat in the sugar.
- Using a sieve, shake powdered sugar over the donuts, flip to cover both sides.
- Enjoy them hot and fresh! We will never go to Dunkin Donuts again!!